Saturday 10 October 2009

Brilliant morning!

All a bit last minute, but found out yesterday the hunt meet was going to be within hacking distance from our yard so decided it was too good an opportunity to miss so decided to go with Ali.
The meet was for 7.30am so I was up and out before 6 this morning. When I first left for the yard it was pitch black and there was a heavy fog so it all felt a bit odd and gloomy but by the time we were tacked up and all ready to leave the yard after 7 daylight had appeared and the fog cleared.
There were six of us from our yard including me,Vic and another girl from the yard who'd never been before,and several of the horses hadnt been hunted before.
Took us about 20mins to get to the meet and basically once we go there we set straight off.
I rather niavely left Ali in his usual snaffle thinking he'd run out of steam after 5mins-WRONG! Take back everything Ive ever said about him being slow and lazy,he's just never been motivated enough.
We stayed at the back to try and keep out of trouble but everyone was really nice talking to us when they found out we'd not been before.
On the first gallop he took a hold,not too bad but he was keen,we then trotted along the road into the next field where there was a little break then set off for the next gallop,this time I struggled to hold him. Back to walk for a gateway which led straight into another field Ali was bouncing at this point so because the field went up a steep hill. I thought i'd let him go a bit up the hill to settle him BIG mistake as the field levelled off I couldnt stop him at all!
I blasted past another girl from our yard who was howling laughing as I hurtled past shouting "ive got no breaks.....",I did start to panic a bit as the gateway and all the horses waiting to go through it were getting closer and closer and he'd totally set his neck but he eventually came back to me and control was restored.
We headed straight up a really steep hill next so I kept him in walk as I did not want to find out what was on the other side while flat out. :0 There was another 5min stand/rest bit then off again the pace slowed down alot from here so we were able to chat and get our bearings then we realised we were a couple of fields away from our yard and we were heading into the badger set field. We'd been out around an hour and a half,maybe a bit longer and felt that was more than enough for their first time so decided to split off and head home.
I couldnt be happier with Ali, he was so well behaved standing quietly during the breaks,keeping out of trouble and despite the occasional brake failure he felt safe,sensible and balanced.
He definitely enjoyed himself as did I so we will be going again when they are local to our yard again.
Im now sitting infront of the fire watching Horse of the Year Show feeling very tired but pleased as punch that ive got such a fabulous little horse who seems to be able to turn his hand/hoof to anything. Im doing so many new things with him that ive never been able to do in the past and each time he exceeds my expectations and saves his best for when it counts and all at five and a half years of age.

4 comments:

Claire said...

and he'll so regret showing you that he can in fact move!

i remember when I took my first horse Marcus hunting .. there was me thinking he was a plod ... NOT!

Danni said...

He really is superstar, my friend's Susaeta horse is the same way :D

I must admit, my heart was in my mouth reading about not having brakes, my worst nightmare! Glad you all had such a great time!

Muriel said...

Can I take the mickey out of you? Can I? Can I? Who was saying ; " not sure about that this horse he is lazy, he has not gaz, does not want to go, my Polo was more forward bladibladibla ... "

Shall I find the post and rub into your nose ^-^ ? LOL

I am so pleased you are having so much fun. He also might have lots of "cow" in him, if he goes beserk at the sight of one.

You ought to ask Rachel (is her name?) from St Pirands'stud.

Perhaps he will be an excellent team-penning/cutting horse ^-^

Jean said...

What fun!

So, the boy's been holding back on you, eh? Just goes to show he has some energy in there he's been hiding.

Now all you need to do is find the proper "brake equipment" to keep that dynamo under control and you are going to have a grand time riding him to the hounds....or just generally riding him out in a crowd.

What fun!