Sunday 6 September 2009

Well weekly(ish) isnt bad going:)

Hey im finding time to update already!

Ive been at work most of the week on training 9to4,im back to work on my normal shifts this week but I was very good all week and rode most nights,usually if I dont ride early in the day I lose the inclination.
Ali has been on lots of hacks we've not done any schooling at all much to his delight. We are going on a 10 mile pleasure ride in a couple of weeks so I want to build his fitness up,he's fit and could do it no problem now but I want to fitten him up a bit more cardio wise so we can have lots of nice canters:)
Today we had a hour and a half hack,ive noticed he backs off the leg the further away he gets away from the yard which he'll have to get over as we plan on lots of longer rides as along with the pleasure ride im planing on taking him to a couple of hunt meets over the coming months.

The dog show last week was a bit odd,nobody could figure out what the judge was going for. Usually you start to get an idea after a few classes as you see quite often see a *type* they are going for..ie good heads,a certain size,coat type or movement but it was really ramdom. Having said that Buster got 3rd in a class of 10 which is not to be sniffed at as its another Crufts qualifier so it was worth the long drive and early morning. Ted got nothing he isnt showing himself well at all and the more I try to stand him the worse he stands so im having a change of tact next time and am just going to give him lots of treats and let him stand how he wants..see how that works? He doesnt do well under pressure:)
I met my friend who has Buster and Ted's brother at the beach on Thursday. After our walk we headed back to the car through the dunes where we heard squeaking, I thought it was a bird at first but then discovered Minx,Buster and Harvey (Busts brother) with a rabbit. Mouse and Ted then joined in when they spotted what was going on.
I felt horrible but I knew we would struggle to get them all off it and it would probably be so badly injured it would die so had to leave them to kill it, which they did very swiftly. They then proceeded to devour it which was rather gross, their terrier instincts were in full flow I can tell you they were a killer pack at that moment in time!

1 comment:

Jean said...

Poor bunny, but you ended up doing the right thing. Better a quick terrier end than misery.

A nice long pleasure ride sounds like fun. Maybe I'll get Chance fit enough to do one. If not, I expect a full report from you!

Not too keen on judges you can't quite pin down. But it does sound like a good idea with Ted. He sounds rather strong willed, so the more you can convince him that what he does is as much his idea as yours...at least in the show ring...the better.